Earth day is celebrated on April 22nd; it’s a day to remember Mother Earth and the environment. Since this is a fairly new holiday, there are no set traditional foods that are served, but organic foods, foods without preservatives, and local foods that have no pesticides are very popular.
Homemade Granola is quick and easy to put together; once in the oven, it just needs to be stirred occasionally. This granola can be eaten as a snack, as a breakfast cereal, or as an ingredient in cookies and Fruit & Nut Yogurt Parfaits. It’s a good idea to use all organic ingredients to make sure there are no pesticides or preservatives in your granola. It will be something you can feel good about serving to family members and eating yourself.
Homemade Fruit and Nut Granola
Makes about 12 cups, 24 1/2 cup servings
7 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cashews
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup Craisins
- Preheat the oven to 250°.
- Mix the oats, almonds, cashews, coconut, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the maple syrup, vegetable oil, and salt.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the oat mixture and mix well.
- Divide the mixture onto two parchment-lined baking sheets and place in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to insure that the granola cooks evenly.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the raisins and Craisins, and cool thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 323 Calories from Fat 145
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 9% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 115 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 12%