Cabbage is a popular vegetable in the south, and is served in salads, side dishes, and main dishes. It’s delicious, and contains lots of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. This Southern Sausage and Cabbage Bake is adapted from an old Southern recipe found in a country music star cookbook. Since it uses Italian Meat Mix from the Italian Meat Mix Module, much of the cooking is already finished; just mix the meat with a few ingredients from the pantry shelves along with a bag of coleslaw mix from the produce department and throw it in the oven.
For a more substantial casserole, arrange a few brown and serve sausages on top of the crumbs; they’ll brown nicely in the time it takes the casserole to cook.
1 14-16 oz. package coleslaw mix, or equivalent of shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup water
1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups Italian Meat Mix from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
1/2 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix the coleslaw mix and water in a large skillet.
- Turn the heat to high and cook, stirring, until the cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Drain any residual liquid off.
- Stir together the cream of mushroom soup, Italian meat mix, spaghetti sauce, and flour in a bowl until well-mixed.
- Add the milk and stir in the wilted cabbage.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow 13 x 9" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the dry bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 253 Calories from Fat 111
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 16% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 923 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 56% Calcium 0% Iron 7%