Creamy Penne Pasta and Asparagus Bake is a quick-to-fix casserole made with Basic Cream Soup Mix, an easy to prepare mix that can be made ahead and stored on the pantry shelf, and Italian Meat Mix made ahead in the slow cooker from the Italian Meat Mix Module and stored in the freezer. Minimum additional ingredients make this delicious dish a breeze to put together. When asparagus isn't available, it's just as good with zucchini.
This creamy casserole is almost a full meal in a dish, and needs only a green salad (ready made in a bag from the produce department if you’re in a hurry), and fresh crusty bread from the bakery.
1 12 oz. package penne pasta
2 pounds fresh asparagus
3 cups cold water
2 cups Basic Cream Soup Mix
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups Italian Meat Mix made from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13” casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook the penne pasta in boiling salted water.
- Meanwhile, snap the asparagus spears and cut them on the diagonal in 1" lengths.
- About 2 minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus to the boiling pot.
- When the pasta is done al dente, pour it and the asparagus into a colander; drain well.
- Whisk together the cold water and Basic Cream Soup Mix in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 3 minutes; whisk until smooth, and microwave until boiling, about 2 more minutes.
- Whisk in 3/4 cup of the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Mix the pasta and asparagus into the cream soup mixture and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 383 Calories from Fat 144
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 23% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 704 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 50% Calcium 0% Iron 11%