Giant Portabella mushrooms are not only delicious, they are perfect for stuffing. This quick and easy recipe for Italian Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms, which is fancy enough for company, calls for just five ingredients in the tasty stuffing. It’s flavored with commercially prepared pesto and packaged garlic and herb croutons. These ingredients are mixed with mozzarella cheese that is pre-shredded, and Italian meat mix which is hopefully already in the freezer. The Italian meat mix is made ahead in the slow cooker from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module. With so few ingredients, the stuffing can be put together in less than 10 minutes. As a bonus, the mushrooms can be stuffed ahead, covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerated overnight, making it easy on a busy hostess.
4 (about 4 ounces each) portabella mushrooms
1 cup Italian Meat Mix from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
1 cup garlic and herb croutons
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup commercially prepared pesto
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems, if any.
- Place them in a single layer smooth side down in a 9 x 13" glass casserole dish.
- Mix the Italian Meat Mix with the croutons, mozzarella cheese, pesto, and pine nuts, if using.
- Divide the mixture between the mushrooms, spreading it to the edges and packing it down slightly.
- Top each with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Pour 1/3 cup water in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with foil (spray the underside with non-stick spray) and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 363 Calories from Fat 194
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 26% Carb. 20%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 911 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 24 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 9%