If there’s a bag of Italian Meat Mix from the Italian Meat Mix Module in the freezer, this delicious Slow Cooker Hot Italian Cheese Dip takes only 5-10 minutes to assemble in the slow cooker. As slow cookers go, it even cooks fast – 2-3 hours. It can be finished even faster in the event of unexpected guests by turning the slow cooker to high; it will be ready in about an hour (just make sure it’s stirred often).
This easy dip captures some of the most loved Italian flavors – mushrooms, cheese, olives, and red pasta sauce – in a dip that is scooped up with either crusty breadsticks or slices of a baguette from the bakery. If there’s time, Quick and Easy Breadsticks can be made at home; they’re easy with an automatic bread machine but can also be made the conventional way in a mixer. Store-bought crisp breadsticks, found in the grocery aisle with the crackers or on the aisle with the Italian foods are also good dippers.
Serve this cheesy hot dip year round; include it as an appetizer at a summer barbecue while the main dish grills, a snack at a Superbowl party, or as part of a holiday buffet. Since it's orange in color, why not include it on the next Halloween "Boo-ffet?" The ghosts and goblins, along with everyone else, will love it!
2 cups Italian Meat Mix from the Italian Meat Mix Module
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 pound finely chopped mushrooms
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 2 1/4 ounce can sliced black olives, drained
1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed green olives, drained
- Mix the Italian Meat Mix (thawed) in the crock of a small (2-3 quart) slow cooker. If it’s frozen, microwave for a minute or two while the other ingredients are assembled
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce.
- Add the mushrooms, cream cheese, and mozzarella cheese; stir well
- Stir in the black and green olives.
- Cover the slow cooker, set the heat to low, and let cook 2-3 hours, stirring about every 30 minutes, until the mixture is hot and the cheeses are melted.
- Once the dip is done, turn the slow cooker to the warm setting and stir often.
- Serve with fresh crusty breadsticks or baguette slices.
- Note: For a thinner, saucier dip, add an additional jar of spaghetti sauce.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 285 Calories from Fat 190
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 18% Carb. 15%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 61 mg
Sodium 877 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 5%