Need a starter for the next backyard barbecue? Have a garden full of zucchini? Mediterranean Roasted Zucchini Dip is sure to draw raves from everyone. This easy dip is similar to the popular Baba Ganoush – roasted eggplant dip - that is available at most Middle Eastern Restaurants, but it’s made with zucchini. It’s best if made with medium size zucchini rather than large, since the medium size has little or no seeds. However, if large zucchini is all that is available, simply prepare it as directed and scrape out and discard the seeds prior to mixing in the remaining ingredients.
Mediterranean Roasted Zucchini Dip can be made a day ahead or early in the morning and refrigerated until time to serve. Guests will appreciate this welcome change from the usual sour cream based chip dips and cream cheese based cheese balls; the bonus is that it’s significantly lower in calories and fat. No one will guess that the ingredients are healthy and wholesome.
2 pounds medium zucchini (or 3 pounds of large zucchini since the seeds will need to be discarded)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon harissa, or sambal oelek
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- Place the zucchini on a baking pan and broil on all sides until blistered and black.
- Transfer the zucchinis to a Ziploc-type bag, seal, and let cool.
- When cool enough to touch, peel off the blackened skin.
- Transfer to a food processor or large plate.
- If using a food processor, pulse a few times to coarsely chop - the mixture should be chunky, not smooth.
- If using a large plate, mash with a fork.
- Place the mixture in a fine strainer and let sit 30 minutes to drain off any excess juice.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and add the zucchini.
- Stir well and add additional salt and/or lemon juice to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with fresh pita wedges or pita chips.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 53 Calories from Fat 32
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 11% Carb. 27%
Nutrient Amount per Serving Value
Total Fat 4 g 6%
Saturated Fat 1 g 3%
Cholesterol 1 mg 0%
Sodium 242 mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 2%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 16% Calcium 0% Iron 2%