Think fresh apricots are just for desserts and jam? This easy Quick Asian Apricot Chicken uses apricots to advantage in a sweet and sour sauce; there’s no need to heat up the kitchen, since the entire dish is done on the stovetop, and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
To make the most of a short time in the kitchen, start the rice either in the rice cooker or in a saucepan; it will be perfectly cooked when the chicken is finished. While the chicken is browning, halve the apricots. The sauce ingredients can be mixed while the apricots are softening in the skillet, and the green onions can be sliced while the sauce thickens.
Another time, use pork chops instead of chicken breasts; pork is equally good with the apricot sauce.
3 cups water
2 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups rice
1 tablespoon butter
6 4-5 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast halves
6 fresh apricots, halved and pitted
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon granular chicken bouillon
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry or dry white wine
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat the water, salt, and butter to boiling in a saucepan; add the rice, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Alternately, place the ingredients in a rice cooker and follow manufacturer’s directions.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken breast halves and brown on each side; remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the apricot halves to the skillet and let them cook over medium heat until soft, 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix the rice wine vinegar, water, brown sugar, chicken bouillon, soy sauce, sherry, ginger, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the skillet with the apricots and pour the sauce over.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and cook until the sauce is thickened and clear, stirring often.
- Sprinkle with the green onions, and serve over the rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 97
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 22% Protein 28% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 1433 mg
Total Carbohydrate 56 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 31 g
Vitamin A 22% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 21%