Tired of plain old coleslaw? Here’s a new coleslaw recipe that’s not only quick to put together, it’s different and delicious. Apples and dates add wonderful flavors to this slaw and are a welcome change from the norm. Since coleslaw is a must at a barbecue, this salad is great for summer get-togethers. However, the ingredients are readily available year round, so it’s a good choice anytime. Try serving it at a Superbowl party with giant submarine sandwiches, or at Halloween with Sloppy Joes. It’s a good fall salad in September when the new crisp apples are just picked from the trees. For extra color, use both a red and green apple, which will make it a perfect choice for a Christmas buffet.
Quick Apple and Date Slaw calls for a minimal number of ingredients (4), making it very fast to put together. Coleslaw mix, which contains shredded cabbage – sometimes both green and purple – with shredded carrots, is available at grocery stores in the produce section, and is not only colorful, but another real timesaver. A blender makes quick work of the dressing (cleanup of the blender container is quick, too; simply add a drop of liquid detergent, fill with hot water, and rinse – the blender is clean), or the dressing can be quickly whisked together.
2 medium Granny Smith Apples, chopped, or 1 Granny Smith and 1 Red Apple such as Fuji
3/4 cup chopped dates
14 ounces coleslaw mix
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the chopped apples in a serving bowl.
- Using a Microplane (easiest) or a fine grater, finely zest the lemon and add to the apples.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze a tablespoon over the apples; toss to coat.
- Stir in the dates and coleslaw mix.
- Dressing: Mix the olive oil, honey, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper; whisk together until well mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to four hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 200 Calories from Fat 96
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 2% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 82 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 50% Calcium 0% Iron 4%