Need a quick side dish for dinner tonight? Have a garden full of zucchini (who doesn’t)? This Zucchini and Button Mushroom Sauté is quick, easy, and delicious.
It’s a good idea to use smaller zucchini since they aren’t full of seeds and are very tender. If large zucchini is all that is available, quarter them, remove the part containing seeds, and cut into chunks. You’ll need an extra half pound or so to make up for the portion that is discarded. If you happen to have yellow summer squash in the garden, it can be substituted for part of the zucchini.
If your herb garden doesn’t have fresh chives and oregano, both herbs are readily available in the produce department of most grocery stores. Of course it’s okay to use dried herbs (add them with the wine so the flavors have a chance to develop), but the result will be decidedly different and not as fresh tasting. Other herbs may be substituted for variety.
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 pound small button mushrooms, stems removed
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon granular chicken bouillon
1 pound small zucchini, quartered lengthwise, then sliced in 1/2" slices
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh oregano , chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Heat the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, wine, and chicken bouillon.
- Continue cooking over high heat, stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, pepper, and salt.
- Stir-fry until the zucchini are just crisp tender.
- Stir in the oregano, transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with the chives.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 84 Calories from Fat 38
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 10% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 183 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 0% Iron 7%