Since fish fillets cook quickly, they're a great choice for a fast meal. This delicious Thai Salmon in Green Curry Sauce can be ready to eat, start to finish, in less than 30 minutes. It's a great change from plain grilled or broiled salmon, and is done on the stovetop with minimal ingredients.
It's a good idea to visit the local Asian grocery to stock up on basic Thai ingredients such as curry paste, fish sauce, palm sugar, and coconut milk. While these ingredients are often available at regular grocery stores, they are much cheaper and there are more brands to choose from in Asian stores. The curry paste and fish sauce will keep almost indefinitely in the refrigerator.
Salmon isn't as popular in Thailand as it is in America and Europe, but it complements the Thai flavors in the mild curry sauce. Catfish, tilapia, halibut, or other types of mild fish can be substituted for the salmon.
Serve this dish with fresh jasmine rice; start it in the rice cooker or on the stovetop just before the salmon; they'll be finished at the same time.
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound salmon fillets, 1" thick, cut into 4 pieces about 4 ounces each
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste (or more for hotter sauce)
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
2 tablespoons palm sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 red chile pepper, cut into strips
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the salmon fillets and quickly brown on both sides, turning once
- Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and curry paste.
- Stir about 5 minutes until spices smell good and the onions are soft.
- Add the coconut milk, palm sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add the salmon and cook in the sauce until just cooked through.
- Stir in the chili pepper strips and serve with Jasmine rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 433 Calories from Fat 287
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 66% Protein 24% Carb. 10%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 32 g
Saturated Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 883 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 25%