It would be unthinkable to have a Thanksgiving dinner without cranberries. But what if nobody likes cranberries? Susan Findlay’s Cranberry Salad will quickly take care of that problem. This easy make-ahead salad is not only beautiful, it takes cranberries to a higher realm. The cranberries, which must be frozen, are ground in the food processor; they are then soaked in sugar overnight. Once drained, a few ingredients are folded in and the result is a fabulous fruit salad that complements all of the dishes served at a Holiday dinner.
This ethereal salad comes from Susan Findlay, one of the classiest ladies and best cooks in Utah. She first tasted it at a buffet in the late 70’s, found every excuse to return to the table for extra servings, and passed the recipe on to me. It has become a tradition at family holiday dinners, as well as with catering clients.
Some family members who profess to hate cranberries, think this salad is made of cherries; there are no plans to set them straight. The cranberries can begin their soak in the sugar two days before the holiday dinner. They can drain unattended for an hour or so while the cook does other things, and can be mixed and put together the night before serving.
Six ingredients never tasted so good!
2 12 oz. packages cranberries, frozen
3 cups sugar
1 28 oz. can crushed pineapple
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups whipping cream, whipped
- Process frozen cranberries in food processor until they are finely ground.
- Mix cranberries and sugar in bowl; cover and lit sit at least eight hours or overnight.
- Place cranberries in strainer; pour crushed pineapple with juice over.
- Let drain at least 1 hour stirring so that all the juice drains (use the juice for punch).
- Mix drained cranberries and pineapple with the grapes, and pecans.
- Fold whipped cream into the cranberry mixture.
- Decorate with more pecans and grapes if you have time..
Amount Per Serving
Calories 343 Calories from Fat 205
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 46% Protein 2% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Sodium 20 mg
Total Carbohydrate 57 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 18% Calcium 0% Iron 3%