Still have a garden full of zucchini? Here’s a great casserole dish that uses it to advantage. Although the recipe is a substantial vegetable side dish, it can be made into a main dish with the addition of leftover chicken, browned ground beef, or cooked sausage. The minimal ingredients make it quick to put together, and the chunks of pepper jack cheese make it spicy. For a less spicy dish, use only half pepper jack cheese and half regular jack cheese.
Spicy Zucchini & Pepper Jack Bake
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 1/4 pounds small zucchinis, thinly sliced (2-3)
2 cups pepper jack cheese, cubed (1/2 pound)
6 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a shallow 8" square casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the dish with 1 1/2 tablespoons bread crumbs.
- Distribute the zucchini slices over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese cubes evenly over the zucchini.
- Place the eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, and flour in the blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Scrape the sides of the blender down, and process for a few seconds.
- Pour the batter mixture over the cheese cubes.
- Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs over, then pour the melted butter over the crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the batter comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 249 Calories from Fat 150
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 24% Carb. 16%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 147 mg
Sodium 575 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 7%