In India, Naan is baked on a traditional tandoor and is served piping hot. It is usually brushed with ghee and herbs, and sometimes with sweet toppings. If you’ve never tasted Naan hot off the tandoor, you’ve really been missing out. Naan is a must with Indian curries such as Quick Chicken Korma, and is also delicious with grilled meats, poultry, or fish. Shortcut Chicken Tandoori is a quick version of the famous Indian dish and this Naan with Garlic and Coriander is an especially good accompaniment.
Grilling is really quick, but if the grill isn’t available, this bread can be made in the oven under the broiler. Either way, this flavorful light bread will become a favorite to serve with any kind of food. The dough is made quickly in the automatic bread machine, which uses only about 10-minutes precious hands-on time. Shaping is quick and easy, too.
Bread Machine Grilled Naan with Garlic and Coriander
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
6 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- Place the dough ingredients in the pan of the automatic bread machine in the order given.
- Set the machine on the dough setting and start.
- After 5 minutes, check the dough to make sure it is forming a soft ball. If it is too stiff, add a little more water; if it is too soft, add a little more flour.
- When the dough cycle is finished, turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal parts.
- Form each part into a ball and let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat the barbecue grill to the lowest setting.
- Roll or pat each of the balls of dough into either the traditional Naan teardrop shape or rounds, as thin as possible.
- Place them on the grill, shut the lid, and let them bake 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the 1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter with the garlic over low heat (microwave is okay).
- Brush the loaves with the hot garlic-ghee mixture and sprinkle with the coriander.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 336 Calories from Fat 166
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 6% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 295 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 3%