Cuban Style Zucchini recipe
Sour orange juice is also used in many traditional Cuban dishes and is available at most larger grocery stores in areas with a Latin population. The rest can make juice that approximates sour orange juice by combining 1/4 cup regular orange juice with two tablespoons each of lime juice and lemon juice. Sazón seasoning adds both color and flavor; it is available in the Latin section of most grocery stores.
Once the zucchini has absorbed the Cuban flavors, it is topped with cream cheese which softens and browns lightly. When dipping this dish onto serving plates, pour a little sauce over the cream cheese.
1 1/2 pounds small zucchini, sliced lengthwise, then into 1" chunks
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 cloves garlic
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, packed or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 cup sour orange juice or a mixture of:
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
3 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 package Sazón Goya seasoning
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Arrange the zucchini chunks in a shallow glass baking dish in one layer.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the garlic, onion, bell pepper, oregano, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and plum tomatoes in the food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the Sazón Goya over all.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the dish, arrange the cream cheese over the top, and return to the oven for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 146 Calories from Fat 93
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 63% Protein 11% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 112 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 43% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
You Should Also Read:
Other Quick & Easy Zucchini Recipes
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.