Still have zucchini in the garden, in the fridge, on the counters, and in the car to sneak on the neighbor’s doorsteps when they’re not home? Use some of it in this Quick 5-Ingredient Zucchini Cornbread. The zucchini in this easy cornbread makes it very moist, as well as colorful, adding a few pretty green specks. Since it starts with a mix, this easy recipe can literally be mixed in five minutes; add five minutes to grate the zucchini and it’s ready to pop in the oven. There’s no need to use a mixer; it can be done in a bowl by hand, since the batter shouldn’t be completely smooth.
Baking the cornbread in a cast iron skillet insures a crisp crust and soft interior. However, if cast iron isn’t available, an 8 x 8” square pan can be used with good results. One small package of cornbread mix fits perfectly in a 6 or 7” cast iron skillet; double the recipe for a 9 or 10” skillet.
1 tablespoon bacon fat, or shortening
1 7 1/2 ounce package yellow corn bread mix, such as Jiffy (with sugar)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup packed grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Measure the bacon fat or shortening into a 6-7" cast iron skillet and place it in the oven to melt while the oven heats.
- Mix the cornbread mix, milk, egg, and zucchini just until barely mixed; the batter should not be smooth.
- When the oven is hot, remove the cast iron skillet and pour the batter in.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven, cut into wedges and serve hot with real butter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 189 Calories from Fat 61
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 8% Carb. 59%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 254 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 1%