Need a light summer dessert? Short on time? Stuffed Fresh Peaches are quick to assemble, and can be baked while dinner is being served. They may also be baked a few hours ahead and served at room temperature – they’re delicious both ways. For a more substantial dessert, serve them with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream or with custard sauce made in the microwave. Fresh peaches, while available year round, are much better tasting when they’re locally grown, and this dessert is a great showcase for them. Nectarines are equally good.
Actual hands-on time to prepare Stuffed Fresh Peaches is only 10-15 minutes. The stuffing is made with crushed cookies mixed with butter, brown sugar, and toasted almonds (toast whole almonds in a 350° oven for 10 minutes or until they start to brown lightly and smell good; cool and chop). After removing the peaches from the oven, a small amount of liqueur is poured over each one, adding moistness and flavor; the alcohol sizzles and evaporates immediately.
Even for cooks in a hurry, there’s always time for this delicious dessert.
1 tablespoon butter
4 medium fresh peaches
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup coarsely crushed coconut cookies
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Smear the 1 tablespoon butter onto the bottom of a 2-quart shallow casserole dish that will accommodate 8 peach halves in one layer.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the peaches and let sit in the boiling water for 1 minute.
- Transfer the peaches to a bowl of ice water.
- Halve the peaches, remove the skins and pits, and arrange them cut side up in the prepared dish.
- Place the butter in a microwaveable container and microwave for 30-45 seconds or until melted.
- Stir in the brown sugar until smooth.
- Add the cookie crumbs and almonds; mix well.
- Divide the cookie crumb mixture among the peaches, pressing down a little to make the stuffing compact.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the stuffing is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and pour a teaspoon Amaretto liqueur over the top of each of the peaches.
- Serve warm with the whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 118
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 70% Protein 4% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 2%