Think you don’t have time to bake homemade bread? Think again! With an automatic bread machine to make the dough unattended, all the hands-on time needed is 5-10 minutes to dump a few ingredients into the machine, and 5-10 minutes to shape the dough into traditional loaves. The smell of Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread is amazing while baking, and the taste of the finished product is even better.
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread is nutritious too, and supplies much needed fiber, along with some vitamins and minerals. It is also low in fat and calories until, of course, it’s slathered with lots of real butter. For those trying to get family members to switch to whole wheat bread over white, this is definitely the recipe that will win them over. Many recipes for whole wheat bread produce heavy compact loaves. This recipe, however, produces light airy loaves with a crisp crust. In the event there are leftovers, the bread keeps well in an airtight bag for several days; it makes incredible toast and sandwiches.
Makes 2 regular size loaves
1 2/3 cups water
1/2 cup dry milk
2/3 cup rolled oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups white flour
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon yeast
Oatmeal, for sprinkling
- Place the dough ingredients in the order given in the pan of the automatic bread machine.
- Turn the machine to the dough cycle.
- After 10 minutes, check the dough to make sure it is forming a soft ball.
- If it is too soft, add a little more whole wheat flour; if it is too stiff, add a little more water and start the cycle over.
- When the cycle is finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half into a square about 9 x 9".
- Roll up tightly and pinch the seam together.
- Pinch the seam on both sides and place in two standard bread pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in bulk.
- When the loaves are almost risen, preheat the oven to 375°.
- Beat the egg until frothy; brush the tops of the loaves with the egg.
- Sprinkle with a little oatmeal.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped.
- Remove from the oven to cooling racks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 18
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 17% Protein 13% Carb. 70%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 226 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Pastry Cloths, which make rolling dough easier, and automatic bread machines are available from Amazon:
Regency Pastry Cloth & Rolling Pin Cover Set
Norpro Pastry Frame
Sunbeam 5891 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker
Cuisinart CBK-100 Programmable Breadmaker
Zojirushi BBCCX20 Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine