When there’s no time to make yeast bread or rolls, why not try these easy Savory Pumpkin & Herb Muffins? They’re quick to assemble and are not only delicious for breakfast, they make a delicious accompaniment to soups and salads for lunch or dinner.
The addition of red chili peppers makes these muffins slightly spicy; the herbs add plenty of flavor. Pumpkin not only adds color and flavor, it also adds fiber and more than the daily recommended amount of Vitamin A.
As a variation, 1/2 cup grated cheese can be stirred into the batter with the herbs, and additional cheese can be sprinkled on top 10 minutes before the muffins are finished baking. Roasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds sprinkled on top before baking are delicious and add texture and crunch to the muffins.
1/4 cup melted butter
3 tablespoons milk
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
2 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 green onions including tops, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 red chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for less spicy muffins, reduce the amount to 1 pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix the butter, egg, milk and pumpkin in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the flour, parsley, onions, garlic, thyme, and red chili; mix just until moistened - do not overmix.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake in the preheated oven 18 - 23 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve hot with lots of real butter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 42
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 10% Carb. 58%
Nutrient Amount per Value
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 158 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 119% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 5%