No Holiday turkey dinner would be complete without stuffing or dressing. Most families have their own traditional recipe, and some stuff the bird, while others bake theirs in a casserole dish separately. With the introduction of stuffing in a box, many forego the traditional recipes and serve boxed stuffing which is quite good, but certainly not as good as homemade. This recipe for Shortcut Sausage Cranberry Pecan Stuffing tastes like fabulous homemade stuffing, but utilizes a convenient box of stuffing to save time. Just a few additional ingredients make this quick and easy stuffing a sensational dish that anyone will be proud to serve family or guests.
The dish can be made up to two days ahead and refrigerated. It can then be either baked in a casserole dish or stuffed into a turkey on the day of the dinner.
8 1/2 cup Servings or about 4 cups stuffing
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 pound sage pork sausage
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup Craisins
1/4 cup butter
1 6 oz. package stuffing mix, turkey or chicken flavored (such as Stove Top)
2 1/2 cups water
5 small fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 2 quart round casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until they smell good and begin to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and coarsely chop; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a large deep skillet.
- Remove the sausage to a wire strainer and drain well.
- Return the sausage to the skillet and turn the heat to high.
- Add the Craisins and wine and stir over high heat until the wine is evaporated.
- Add the butter; stir to melt.
- Stir in the stuffing mix and spice packet.
- Stir until coated with the butter and add the water and sage leaves if using.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, smooth out, and cover tightly with foil. The stuffing may be refrigerated at this point for up to 2 days.
- Bake 15 minutes (longer if it has been in the refrigerator); uncover and bake 15-20 minutes or until the top is slightly crisp and the stuffing is heated through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 305 Calories from Fat 207
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 68% Protein 9% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 671 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 16%