Even though everyone is busy, especially around the holidays, and has minimal time to cook, it’s important to have a few special cookies around for Christmas. These delicious cookies have the flavors of the most famous Viennese cake, Sachertorte (SAH-kuhr-tohrt), but start with instant pudding mix; there are only four ingredients in the base cookies. The cookies are filled with apricot jam and are drizzled with creamy, smooth ganache.
For those not familiar with a sachertorte, it was developed in Vienna in 1832 by Franz Sacher, who was an apprentice chef; he developed the recipe in the head chef’s absence (he was home ill) for Austrian Prince Metternich. A sachertorte consists of layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched together with apricot jam, spread on the outside with apricot jam, then covered with rich chocolate ganache. The torte is, of course, delicious, and so are these easy cookies.
5 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
1 4 ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar, for rolling the balls
1 cup apricot preserves, mashed until smooth
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter and pudding mix until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and mix well.
- Stir in the flour and mix until well-incorporated.
- Scoop small balls of dough and roll in hands to smooth; roll in the sugar.
- Place the balls on parchment-lined cookie sheets and make an imprint in the center of each cookie thumb.
- Bake in the preheated oven 11-12 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- When cool, fill the imprint with preserves.
- Ganache Topping: Place the chocolate chips and whipping cream in a glass measuring cup.
- Microwave 1 1/2 minutes; let sit for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a decorating bag with a plain tube or to a plastic bag with a small hole cut from the corner.
- Drizzle the topping decoratively over the cookies.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 81 Calories from Fat 37
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 41 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%