If a spiral ham was served at a recent holiday party, chances are there is a meaty ham bone sitting in the fridge or freezer waiting to be added to a big pot of soup. While many cooks make a big pot of ham and beans, this Creamy Ham and Mushroom Chowder is much quicker and it’s also comforting and delicious. The ham bone is boiled for about 15 minutes with potatoes, onions, and fresh mushrooms, then the soup is finished off with the versatile Basic Cream Soup Mix, which, hopefully, is already in the pantry. (If not, it can be put together in 15 minutes.)
If the weather’s cold in your area, this soup makes the perfect warming weeknight dinner. All that is needed to complete this 30 minute meal is some good bread (picked up from the bakery on the way home from work) and packaged salad.
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
2 pounds diced potatoes
1 meaty ham bone
8 cups water
2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix, whisked into 2 cups water
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the potatoes, ham bone, and water; bring to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the ham bone and cut the meat into small pieces.
- Stir the basic cream soup mix into the soup along with the pieces of ham.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and serve sprinkled with parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 336 Calories from Fat 104
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 31% Protein 14% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 354 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 37% Calcium 0% Iron 13%