One of the most versatile and easy modules to prepare is a turkey breast in the slow cooker. Once cooked (and it only takes 3-4 hours which is fast for a slow cooker), the meat can be sliced, cubed, or shredded and packaged in Ziploc-type bags with some of the juices, and frozen to be used in recipes. The bone-in turkey breasts are the most flavorful, and a slow cooker insures that the meat stays moist and juicy. A 6-pound bone-in turkey breast yields approximately 10-12 cups of turkey; enough for about 6 average size family meals.
This easy module can be prepared in about 15 minutes of hands-on time, so its actually doable for busy cooks. Once the packages of turkey are in the freezer, there are literally hundreds of recipes for soups, stews, casseroles, and salads in which it can be used.
1 6-to-7 pound turkey breast, (bone in)
2 tablespoons butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon granular chicken bouillon
- Thaw the turkey breast and remove any excess skin that is hanging off, however, keep the skin that covers the breast.
- Clean the breast and blot dry with paper towels.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Brown the turkey breast on all sides.
- Remove the turkey breast from the skillet and transfer it to a slow cooker, breast side up.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the cavity and on the outside of the breast.
- Add the wine and bouillon to the skillet over high heat and stir to remove any crusty bits from the pan.
- Pour the mixture over the turkey breast in the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker, set it to low, and let cook 3-4 hours or until an instant read thermometer reads 150°.
- Remove the turkey from the slow cooker and let cool.
- Cut the meat from the bones cube, shred, or slice depending on the recipes it is to be used in and package in Ziploc-type bags in 2 cup portions.
- Pour the juices through a strainer and pour a few tablespoons of the juice into each of the bags.
- Label and freeze.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 295 Calories from Fat 70
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 24% Protein 74% Carb. 0%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 131 mg
Sodium 198 mg
Total Carbohydrate 0 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 54 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 14%