How about something a little different for dinner tonight? Even if you’re short on time, this comforting All-in-One German Hot Dish can be assembled in about 15 minutes; it bakes while the table is being set and the salad is tossed together, so the entire meal takes less than 30 minutes hands-on time. It can even be put together ahead and refrigerated to save more time.
Several typical German ingredients are combined in this easy casserole: sauerkraut, ham, German mustard, potatoes (in the form of soup), and rye bread crumbs. Since the sauerkraut is rinsed before adding it to the casserole, the taste is quite mild.
1 16 oz. jar sauerkraut
1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of potato soup
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon German mustard
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 cups shredded Gruyere, Swiss, or Fontina cheese, divided
1 pound lean ham , cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup rye bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Place the sauerkraut in a strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold water; drain well and press out any moisture.
- With kitchen shears, snip the sauerkraut in several places. Set aside.
- Mix the cream of potato soup, milk, mustard, caraway seeds, 1 cup of the cheese, and the ham.
- Stir in the sauerkraut and transfer the mixture to a shallow 2-3 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Mix the rye bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden and the casserole is bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 372 Calories from Fat 190
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 29% Carb. 20%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 1974 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 39% Calcium 0% Iron 15%