Itís traditional to serve something with cherries on Presidentís Day, even though itís widely thought by historians that the story about George Washington and the cherry tree is just an urban legend and didnít really happen. My granddaughter, Bella, recently came over to cook; she wanted to make something with cherries and adapted a recipe she found in a bread machine cookbook to create this delicious cherry bread. Bellaís Easy Cherry Bread is quick, since the ingredients are quickly placed in the automatic bread machine and mixed on the dough cycle. Hands-on time is minimal, both for assembling the ingredients and forming the loaf.
This bread is not sweet like a quick bread, rather itís a savory loaf with a few bites of tart cherries. Itís great served warm, but leftovers are delicious toasted.
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup cherry flavored coffee syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon dry milk
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon softened butter
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 tablespoon dry yeast, (scant)
- Place the ingredients in the order given in the pan of the automatic bread machine.
- Set the machine to the dough cycle and start.
- After the first five minutes, check to make sure the dough forms a soft ball of dough; if it is too stiff, add a little more water or cherry syrup; if itís too soft, add a little more flour.
- When the cycle is finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Roll or pat the dough to a 12 x 12" rectangle.
- Roll up tightly and pinch the seam.
- Pull the open edges on the sides and pinch.
- Place the loaf seam side down into a standard loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cover with a dish towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 350į oven for 30-35 minutes or until the loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Immediately invert the loaf onto a cooling rack.
- When thoroughly cool, store in a tightly sealed Ziploc-type bag.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 131 Calories from Fat 11
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 8% Protein 9% Carb. 83%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 209 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%