Just 4 ingredients (plus water) can be combined to make this showstopper soup with great Cajun flavors. Cajun Shrimp Bisque starts with the Basic Creole Sauce Module, which is prepared in a slow cooker, then divided into portions and frozen; it’s very versatile, and is hopefully already in the freezer. The other main ingredient, besides shrimp, is the Basic Cream Soup Mix which can be made months ahead and stored on the pantry shelf.
This delicious, slightly spicy soup is hearty enough to serve for lunch with a salad or sandwich, but elegant enough to serve as the soup course at a gourmet dinner. It’s quick and easy enough to serve anytime, even on a weeknight.
Quick Cajun Shrimp Bisque
3 cups water
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, without salt
1 1/4 pounds raw shrimp with shells
3 cups water
1 cup Basic Creole Sauce
3 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
Chopped chives, for garnish
- Place 3 cups water, Cajun seasoning, and shrimp in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and cook the shrimp until they are just pink.
- Immediately pour the mixture into a fine strainer over a bowl, reserving the broth.
- Pour the strained broth into a large soup pot.
- Place 3 cups water with the Basic Creole Sauce and Basic Cream Soup Mix in the blender; blend until smooth.
- Whisk the mixture into the broth.
- Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, peel the shrimp and discard shells and tails; coarsely chop.
- When the soup is thickened and boiling, turn down to a simmer and stir in the coarsely chopped shrimp.
- Heat through and serve immediately sprinkled with the chives.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 316 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 33% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 176 mg
Sodium 708 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 13%