The Hanukkah Dreidel Brownie has a rich, smooth texture and is fun for the whole family to prepare together. Cocoa powder gives this oversized brownie its rich chocolatey taste and kids will gladly give up some gelt for this treat! Since cocoa powder also blends easily with other baking ingredients, there are no messy pre-melting steps, leaving more time for spinning dreidels and opening gifts
After the brownie has baked and cooled, kids will love to help create their own unique oversized dreidel using frosting and decorative candies.
This year, as the lights from the menorah flicker and you watch children play Hanukkah games, you can rest assured that the Hanukkah Dreidel Brownie is the perfect complement to your holiday festivities.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) Premier White Chips, divided
1 tablespoon shortening (not butter, margarine, spreads or oil)
1 tube (4.25 oz.) royal blue decorating icing (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan completely with foil, leaving extra on sides for handles.
- Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition.
- Add cocoa; beat until well blended. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or just until brownies begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Invert brownie onto serving tray; peel off foil.
- Shape into dreidel: About 3-inches from bottom of each long side, cut triangular pieces to bottom center, forming point of dreidel. Cut about 1-inch from top edge; cut in half and attach 1 piece as handle.
- Place 1 cup white chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute; stir until mixture is melted and smooth when stirred. Spread on dreidel, about 1-inch from top and 2 sides, forming 7-inch square. Decorate with remaining white chips and decorating icing, if desired. Cut into bars.
About 3 dozen brownies.