Everyone needs a good recipe for a quick and easy brunch casserole, especially for weekends, holidays, and family gatherings. This Easy Skillet Cornbread Brunch Bake can be put together quickly; it’s also a welcome change of pace from those mundane brunch casseroles that have gone the rounds for years.
While the cornbread mix called for in this recipe contains sugar, it’s perfectly fine to use one without; a no-sugar mix will result in a more savory dish. Most Southerners insist that “if it has sugar, it ain’t cornbread,” so you can certainly go with what your conscience dictates.
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1 to 2 cups coarsely chopped red onions
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 15 oz. can corn, rinsed and drained, or use 2 cups frozen corn
1 cup medium salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
1 6 oz. package cornbread mix, such as Jiffy
6 green onions, sliced (use both white and green parts)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain, and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the skillet.
- Add the onions to the skillet and sauté until translucent; stir in the peppers and corn.
- Cook until the peppers are softened and stir in the salsa.
- Remove from the heat; stir, and sprinkle with the bacon and cheese.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, and Tabasco.
- Stir in the cornbread mix; fold in the green onions.
- Spread the mixture over the cheese in the skillet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden.
- Remove from the oven, cut into wedges, and serve with additional salsa.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 151
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 17% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 100 mg
Sodium 680 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 14 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 43% Calcium 0% Iron 8%