Planning on serving Easter Brunch? This Springtime Egg Bake is not only delicious, it can be assembled in very minimal hands-on time. It’s also fancy enough for company. Crisp, crumbled bacon is widely available, so there’s no need to take the time to cook bacon. Another time, chopped ham or smoked salmon may be substituted for the bacon. Although the recipe calls to make individual servings in ramekins, it can be doubled for a larger crowd and baked in a 9 x 13” shallow glass dish (baking time may be a few minutes longer). It’s colorful, too, so guests will be impressed. Accompaniments can be as simple as toast, or something a little fancier like muffins or cinnamon rolls.
Because this brunch casserole is so quick and easy, it may become a regular weekday breakfast dish. It’s healthy, too, since it contains a good portion of spinach, as well as other fresh ingredients, so there’s no need to feel guilty if the family requests it often.
4 teaspoons butter
4 cups packed fresh baby spinach
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup crisp crumbled bacon
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place a teaspoon butter in each of four shallow ramekins (about 4" x 6").
- Place them in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the butter.
- Divide the spinach between the ramekins and toss with the butter.
- Microwave 3-4 minutes (all four ramekins at one time in the microwave) or until the spinach is wilted.
- Sprinkle each with a little pepper. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon bacon over the spinach.
- Crack two eggs into each ramekin over the bacon.
- Pour 2 tablespoons whipping cream over the eggs.
- Top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese over the cream in each ramekin.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are still slightly runny.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 367 Calories from Fat 268
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 73% Protein 22% Carb. 5%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 487 mg
Sodium 473 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 101% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 18%