Love Mexican Food? Many Mexican dishes are time consuming. This Mexican Meat Mix Module will help save hours in the kitchen by shortcutting dozens of Mexican dishes. As with all modules, this Mexican Meat Mix Module is prepared in a large quantity, then packaged in meal-size portions which are stored in the freezer for future use.
While the meats need to be browned prior to making the meat mix, the actual cooking is done in the slow cooker, freeing up the cook for more important undertakings. Once done, it takes only a minute or two to package, label and freeze.
This module can be the beginning of a great Mexican soup or casserole, a Taco Salad, or Instant Nachos. It can serve as an enchilada or taquito filling, or even for burritos and chimichangas. Add it to quesadillas, or chilequilas just to name a few possibilities, and of course, it makes perfect ready-made taco filling. New posts will be made often, so stay tuned to BellaOnline Quick Cooking for new ways to use this versatile module.
48 Servings (about 1/3 cup each)
6 9 oz. packages Mexican Chorizo Sausage, (not the cured Spanish Chorizo)
5 pounds ground beef, or ground turkey
3 16 oz. jars thick and chunky medium salsa
1/3 cup dehydrated onion flakes
3 4 oz. cans diced mild green chilies
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 cup water
- Remove the chorizo from the casing, place it in a large skillet, and brown over medium heat until cooked through.
- Transfer the sausage to a fine strainer over a bowl and press to remove the fat.
- Place the chorizo in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Brown the ground beef in the same skillet; drain any residual fat and add to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook 6-8 hours.
- After 5 hours, tilt the lid a little so that any excess liquid evaporates.
- Divide into eight freezer bags (about 2 cups each), label, and freeze. Amount Per Serving
Calories 210 Calories from Fat 130
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 32% Carb. 6%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 58 mg
Sodium 422 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 9%