Looking for a new way to use up that burgeoning zucchini crop? Deviled Zucchini is quick, easy, different, and delicious. In fact, the preparation takes less than 15 minutes and uses a minimum of ingredients. While the casserole is baking, the rest of the meal can be prepared. This great vegetable dish goes well with grilled meats, fish, or chicken; complete the meal with a quick salad.
The term “deviled,” as it is applied to food preparation, usually means highly spiced with mustard or hot ingredients such as cayenne pepper, although it occasionally refers to foods being coated in crumbs and fried. Deviled eggs, deviled crab, and deviled ham are popular everywhere. Once tried, this Deviled Zucchini will become popular, too, and will be a regular request during zucchini season.
When choosing zucchini, try to use small ones that are 6-8” long; they are more tender and haven’t had time to develop a lot of seeds. If the squashes are allowed to get big, they are best seeded, grated, and used as an ingredient in muffins, cakes, and cookies.
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 pound small zucchinis, 6-8" long (3-4)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a shallow 9 x 7" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cheese, eggs, mustard, and onion in a large bowl.
- Cut the ends off of the zucchini and discard.
- Quarter each squash lengthwise, then slice into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Add the zucchini chunks to the cheese mixture along with the salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan; sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and the zucchini is cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 76
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 24% Carb. 21%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 91 mg
Sodium 438 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 6%