Looking for a one-dish meal that’s easy on the budget? This Clean Out the Garden Bake in an easy casserole (or Hot Dish for those of you from the Midwest) that utilizes vegetables from the garden, pasta, bottled spaghetti sauce, and Italian Meat Mix from the Italian Meat Mix Module. Most of the simple ingredients are probably already on hand either in the garden, fridge, freezer, or on the pantry shelves.
This delicious casserole is a full meal; the only accompaniments that might be needed are some crusty bread and a tossed salad if so inclined. The casserole can be assembled the night before and refrigerated until time to bake – just add 15 extra minutes baking time. Although it calls for penne pasta, it’s okay to substitute whatever pasta is on hand, including leftovers.
1/2 pound penne pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
1 small green bell pepper, quartered and sliced
1 small red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
2 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 pound tomatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 cups Italian Meat Mix from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and add 2 teaspoons salt; add the penne pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet; add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix the Italian Meat mix with the spaghetti sauce.
- Spread a small amount of the sauce over the bottom of a deep 4 quart casserole dish.
- Spread the pasta evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- Top with the vegetables.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the vegetables and spread evenly.
- Top with the cheese.
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 268 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 20% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 660 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 13 g
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 58% Calcium 0% Iron 9%