Is zucchini from the garden still piling up? This Old Fashioned Zucchini Bake is a great way to use up that zucchini; it’s delicious, quick, and easy. The versatile Basic Cream Soup Mix makes a quick cream sauce to mix with lightly sautéed zucchini and onions; freshly grated Parmesan cheese is stirred in, and crumbs make a crispy topping. This is old fashioned comfort food at its finest.
Hopefully, along with zucchini, there is still some fresh basil in the garden. The basil gives this dish a wonderful flavor and of course fresh is best. If fresh basil isn’t available, however, it’s okay to use a teaspoon of dried.
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 pound zucchini, quartered and cut into 1/2" chunks (about 2 small to medium)
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup basic Cream Soup Mix
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in the zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the water and Cream Soup Mix.
- Microwave 2 minutes; whisk, then microwave another minute or two or until it thickens.
- Immediately whisk in the Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and pepper.
- Fold the zucchini mixture into the cream sauce, pour it into a shallow one-quart casserole dish, and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly on top and the bread crumbs are browned.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 226 Calories from Fat 92
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 19% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 434 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 17% Calcium 0% Iron 5%