Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Green Pie - Recipe
Here is a quick and easy recipe for a great pie that you can use for Halloween or St. Patrick’s Day. Use green food coloring, to get the right shade of green. With the mixture of lime and sweetened condensed milk, this cream pie is reminiscent of key lime pie. Don't just wait until March, add this to your Halloween recipe collection.
The new colors of Halloween are purple and green - so make this pie and serve it with your Halloween meal! Halloween is not just orange anymore!
With only four ingredients in the filling and no baking, it doesn’t take long to whip up.
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 ounce) can of frozen limeade concentrate
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
3 to 4 drops green food coloring, or more as desired
1 prepared graham cracker crust or baked pie shell
Lime slices (for optional garnish) or candy corns and pumpkin candies.
1. Thoroughly blend together the sweetened condensed milk and the frozen limeade concentrate.
2. Fold in the whipped topping, adding green food coloring a few drops at a time until desired hue is attained.
3. Pour the filling into the prepared graham cracker pie shell.
4. Garnish pie with dollops of whipped topping and lime slices, if desired.
Freeze for about 2 hours prior to serving.
Slice to serve.
Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
What if you found the perfect dessert — like this Green Pie — but you’re out of sweetened condensed milk. Did you know that you can make your own?
Use it whenever sweetened condensed milk is called for in a recipe- and you can make it for a lot less than you would pay for it.
Yield: The equivalent of one 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk.
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup dry milk powder
3 tablespoons butter
1. Heat a bowl of water in the microwave until it is very hot (or use tap water if you can get it steaming hot).
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add the hot water and beat with an electric mixer or wire whisk until smooth.
Note: This should be made as you need it and will not store well. One recipe equals one can of store bought sweetened condensed milk.
You can use Mello Cream Autumn Mix - Candy Corn Mix (1.5Lb)to decorate the top of the pie.
Since our family never finishes a pie at one meal, I find that I really like this Miles Kimball Pie Keeper to keep it fresh. Both are available at Amazon.
Enjoy the season!
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Launa Stout. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Launa Stout. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Launa Stout for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.