Mandazi Recipe - East African Donuts
Usually mandazi are eaten with tea (chai) or coffee. Serve them warm for breakfast or for snack.
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 cups white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Bring all ingredients to room temperature before mixing them together. Mix all the ingredients together, adding more flour if necessary. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. Roll the dough on a lightly floured board until it is about 1/4 inch think. Cut into triangles and fry in hot oil. Fry until both sides are golden brown. Remove mandazi from oil and drain on paper towels or newspaper. Mandazi are best served warm.
* Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the hot mandazi.
* Put some white sugar into a bag, add a couple mandazi, and shake the bag to cover the mandazi with sugar.
* Add about a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, ginger, all-spice, or cardamom to the dough or a combination of these spices to total a 1/2 teaspoon.
* Use a circular donut cutter to make mandazi in the shape of traditional donuts.
* Substitute pineapple, orange, or lemon juice for the milk.
* Add some shredded coconut to the dough.
* Add ground peanuts or ground almonds to the dough.
* You may substitute 1 teaspoon dry yeast for the 2 teaspoons baking powder. You will want to allow the mandazi to rise before cutting shapes and frying.
Healthy Substitutions and Variations:
* Use 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat flour to make a healthier mandazi.
* Try baking these in the oven at 350 degrees to reduce the amount of fat.
* Substitute the white sugar with Splenda.
* Substitute some plain yogurt for the egg.
* Mash 1/2 an over-ripe banana and add to dough. You may want to reduce the amount of milk.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
Injera - Ethiopian Flat Bread Recipe
Kenyan Chai Recipe
Forum Discussion - African Bread
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.