Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "To read without reflecting, is like eating without digesting."
- "Food is our common ground, a universal experience."
- "Happy and successful cooking doesn't rely only on know-how; it comes from the heart, makes great demands on the palate and needs enthusiasm and a deep love of food to bring it to life."
- "Ham's substantial, ham is fat. Ham is firm and sound. Ham's what God was getting at When He made pigs so round."
--Roy Blount Jr.
- "I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage."
- "I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food."
- "As with most fine things, chocolate has its season. There is a simple memory aid that you can use to determine whether it is the correct time to order chocolate dishes: any month whose name contains the letter A, E, or U is the proper time for chocolate."
- "There is as much difference between a mackerel and a red mullet as there is between a miller and a bishop."
--Baron Leon Brisse
- "Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie."
- "Show me another pleasure like dinner which comes every day and lasts an hour."
--Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
- "An old-fashioned vegetable soup, without any enhancement, is a more powerful anti carcinogen than any known medicine."
--James Duke, MD
- "You may feel that you have eaten too much...But this pastry is like feathers - it is like snow. It is in fact good for you, a digestive!"
- "Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation."
- "It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato."
- "I prefer butter to margarine, because I trust cows more than I trust chemists."
--Joan Dye Gussow
- "My mother's menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it."
- "I refuse to believe that trading recipes is silly. Tunafish casserole is at least as real as corporate stock."
--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison
- "Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."
--Harriet Van Horne
- "Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness."
--Sir Robert Hutchinson
- "Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat."
- "Food is an important part of a balanced diet."
- "Everything to excess. To enjoy the taste of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."
- "Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion."
--Jean Jacques Rousseau
- "An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable invented to make them laugh."
- "The two biggest sellers in bookstores are the cookbooks and the diet books. The cookbooks tell you how to prepare the food and the diet books tell you how not to eat any of it."
- "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, thatís bad for you!"
- "Water is the only drink for a wise man."
--Henry David Thoreau
- "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch."
- "You don't get tired of muffins, but you don't find inspiration in them."
--George Bernard Shaw
- "My idea of heaven is eating pate de foie gras to the sound of trumpets."
- "You have to eat oatmeal or you'll dry up. Anybody knows that."
- "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
- "Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity."
- "My wife dresses to kill. She cooks the same way."
Free Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact