Caramel Sauce is not difficult to make, and has dozens of uses. It can be drizzled on ice cream, cakes, cheesecakes, puddings, and other desserts. This Decadent Caramel Sauce is real caramel, and while it is a little more work to prepare than Basic Caramel Sauce, its well worth it because it is smooth and rich. It also stores well on the pantry shelf in an airtight container for several months.
One of the advantages of this sauce is that the cook can control the intensity of the caramel flavor. If a light caramel flavor is desired, the sugar can be cooked to a light brown. However, the darker the sugar is allowed to get, the more intense and strong the flavor in the sauce. Since this is real caramel, it is recommended for fancier desserts; the flavor is worth the effort.
Decadent Caramel Sauce
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the sugar in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- The sugar will begin to melt on the edges.
- Using a wood spoon or heatproof rubber scraper, stir the melted sugar to the center.
- Continue stirring the melting sugar until it is completely melted to a golden brown liquid.
- Turn the heat to low and continue cooking if you want the caramel flavor intensified or if you like it a little bitter.
- Watch carefully so it doesnt burn.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in the whipping cream; it will bubble up.
- Stir until the cream is incorporated, then add the butter and stir until melted.
- Wash down the sides with a brush dipped in water to prevent sugar crystals.
- Turn the heat off and add the vanilla.
- When the mixture is cool, transfer to an airtight container. It can be kept at room temperature for several months.
- Note: if the caramel is too thick, warm the caramel in the microwave in 30 second intervals and add additional whipping cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 134
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 1% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 51 mg
Sodium 51 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 21 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%