This relish can also be used in place of caramelized onions in the Ploughmanís Deli Filler, a sandwich filling youíll love serving to guests.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup butter
5 pounds red onions, (5-6 large), halved and sliced thin
5 cloves garlic, (large), sliced thin
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper
2 cups dry red wine
6 ounces red wine vinegar
6 ounces port
2 teaspoons beef or chicken bouillon
- Turn a 4-6 quart slow cooker to the high setting.
- Add the olive oil and butter, cover, and let melt while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, thyme, and red hot pepper over.
- Cover and cook on the high setting 6-8 hours, or until the onions are caramelized, stirring once or twice and tilting to lid to evaporate excess liquid during the last 2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and let cook with the lid slightly tilted until most of the liquid is evaporated, an additional 2-3 hours.
- The marmalade can be stored in sterilized pint jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or it can be frozen for several months.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 129 Calories from Fat 59
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 66 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 4%