Once the cake is baked, it can be served warm with an easy microwaveable Caramel Sauce, or it’s delicious with Microwave Lemon Dessert Sauce ; of course a dab of sweetened real whipped cream (never substandard frozen whipped topping) will make this cake even better.
Cream Cheese Frosting goes well on a cooled gingerbread cake, or even Old Fashioned Caramel Frosting . Basic Buttercream Frosting , flavored with a little citrus zest and juice is also delicious on Gingerbread.
Leftovers can be used in a decadent Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle, or served with a scoop of ice cream and caramel sauce.
1 18.25 ounce Spice Cake Mix,
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/3 cup softened butter
1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13” dripper pan with Baker’s Joy or grease and flour.
- Pour the cake mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the molasses, ginger, softened butter, eggs, and water.
- Turn the mixer to low until the ingredients are incorporated, then increase the speed.
- Scrape the sides once, then continue beating until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out.
- Bake in a the preheated oven 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm from the pan with a sauce, or let sit 5 minutes before removing to cooling racks.
Note: this recipe may also be baked in 2 9” round pans (25-30 minutes baking time), a standard bundt pan (55-60 minutes baking time), 11 x 17” jelly-roll pan (20-25 minutes baking time), 24 cupcake liners (15-20 minutes baking time), or 2 standard loaf pans (55-60 minutes baking time).
Amount Per Serving
Calories 207 Calories from Fat 70
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 34% Protein 5% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 286 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 10%