Since shaving bumps most commonly affect men and women with skin of color, it is very important to take simple, but effective precautions to offset their occurrence. Much like acne, this condition can be quite embarrassing and painful. It can even be downright disfiguring for some. Let's take a look at a few things you can do in the comfort of your own home to have a more pleasant shaving experience.
Some Tips You Can Employ in Your Battle Against Shaving Bumps:
- Avoid shaving with double edged razors as they cut too close to the skin. Use single edged razors or electric shavers as they donít cut as close.
- Always leave approximately 1 mm of hair after shaving, never give yourself too close of a shave. If you do, your skin will be smooth for a short time and when your hair starts to grow back, you will experience the development of shaving bumps.
- When shaving, do not go over an area more than twice. You will again start the irritation process within your skin and you will also begin to cut too close. Cutting too close can result in shaving bumps.
- Do not stretch the skin when shaving.
- If this doesnít pose a problem in your profession, allow the beard to grow out fully for maybe 2-4 weeks so the hairs wonít grow back into the skin. To keep the beard neat looking, simply trim and shape it with special grooming shears. You are beginning the healing of your razor bumps by fully growing your beard out before beginning to shave again.
- If you are prone to razor bumps, do not shave every day. Give your skin a rest for 2-3 days in between shaves.
- Never shave against the grain. On the contrary, always shave in the direction of your hair growth.
- Prior to shaving, use a gentle, natural, exfoliating scrub to more effectively lift the whiskers while softening the beard with moisture at the same time, to both stand the hairs up from the skin, and make the hair more soft during the shave.
- Also for the sake of convenience, prior to shaving once your beard has grown out, trim the beard with scissors to make it easier for you to shave the hair.
Following the above tips along with the natural skin care recipes provided on this site, will effectively prevent and address your existing ingrown hairs.