Guest Author - Letta Meinen
I heard from Paulette Firestone with another one of her creative golfing events for her ladies golf group. She called this one the Big Apple it happened to fall on September 11 and she wanted to celebrate their great city. Paulette has a great working relationship with her Club Pro and Greens Keeper to make changes to the course to fit her events. Paulette is part of a large Private Golf Course so she gets a lot of women who come out for her tournaments. When she can put on successful events her Pro and Greens keeper are willing helpers. This event was a scramble with a twist. I will lay it out as Paulette sent it to me.
1. We setup a Big Apple Café…we served coffee, tea, bagels, scones, muffins, fruit etc. with a huge banner made with words Big Apple Café with apples all around the words.
2. Set up music to play songs about Manhattan. (near the putting green and the café.)
3. We happen to have a huge (8 foot tall) Statue of Liberty so we set it up on the middle of the putting green. (music and statue set the mood on this beautiful day.)
4. Bought online from a company called Stump’s huge cardboard cutout replicas of NYC taxi, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, street signs that said 42nd street. There were used on the course.
5. Par 5’s were called the Big Apple Holes and the Statue of Liberty’s and Taxi’s were “planted” out about 200 yards…Red straight line leading to the replicas…this was for straightest drive…one bunker around the green was completely outlined with the skyline of Manhattan (I did it early in morning with the butt of a club and the greens keeper sprayed the outline with red paint. The other bunker on the par 5 was outlined with a huge apple and above it outlined the words The Big with the outlined apple under the words. On these holes you were allowed an “applegan” (picked up ball and could throw it on the green with no stroke penalty)…however, if you did get a natural par you were to advise scoreboard and you got a birdie.
6. Par 3’s had NYC items names with replicas (Empire State building & 42nd Street sign) attached to the pins for effect. These were closest to the holes.
The day was beautiful and the ladies seem to enjoy the day. Hope some of your readers will be able to use this in some way. Tell them the bunkers looked great outlined and painted..and was very easy to do.. after tournament the greens keeper just replaced the necessary amount of sand..we have a gem of a greens keeper. He is always willing to do anything I ask. Hope all is well. Paulette Firestone.
I always love to hear from Paulette as she is so creative in thinking up new and different golf games to entertain her ladies group. She has become an internet friend and I appreciate her taking the time to send me these golf games.