Five Must See Romantic Musicals
1. Grease - This timeless musical about Sandy and Danny and all their friends at Rydell High was released in 1978, adapted from the play by the same name. Starting out as a summer romance, the good girl and the greaser suffer many misadventures on their way to happily ever after. From Olivia Newton John's heartbreaking performance of "Hopelessly Devoted to You" to the sexy and fun "You're the One That I Want", you'll find yourself singing along with every song.
2. Moulin Rouge! - Released in 2001, this musical tells the story of the tragic love affair between Christian, a writer, and Satine, a performer and courtisan at the Moulin Rouge in Paris France. Cinematically breathtaking, this movie is candy for the ears and eyes, and the singing talents of stars Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman might just blow your mind. Tragic, funny, and beautiful, you don't want to look away from the screen because you might miss something.
3. Phantom of the Opera - Not only is the music in this 2004 movie adaptation beautiful, the cinematography is outstanding. Andrew Lloyd Webber created the musical play in 1986 and this movie was his masterpiece, allowing him to do all the things he couldn't do on stage. Actress Emma Rossum has the voice of an angel and Gerard Butler turns out to be an amazing musical talent, as well. As lovely as the romance between Christine and Raoul may be, there is something so undeniably sexy, primal, and sympathetic about The Phantom that it no one will blame you for rooting for him to get the girl - at least a little.
4. Beauty and the Beast - One of the most romantic musicals, even if it is a cartoon. Unlike The Phantom of the Opera, in this lovely story, the Beast actually does get the girl - although it isn't easy. From fun, toe-tapping numbers like "Be Our Guest" to the hauntingly beautiful title song, this lovely cartoon will have you believing in magic.
5. Mamma Mia! - How can you go wrong with a musical set in Greece? Add in an incredible sound track of fun ABBA music , fantastic performances by Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried and more, this sexy romp, about a woman who may not be quite certain who fathered her child, is simply delightful. Even Pierce Brosnan's brave attempt at singing is so sincere and heartfelt, the occasional missed note just doesn't seem to matter.
What are some of your all-time favorite romantic musicals? Come on into the Romance Movies forum and share your thoughts.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Mystic Ransdell. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Mystic Ransdell. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.