This is a fantastic appetizer, but easy to prepare.
- 1 pound Mozzarella cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground, black pepper
- coarse salt
- 1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Cut the cheese in to 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Lightly oil a griddle or solid-based frying pan and heat over high heat.
- Add the cheese slices and as soon as they turn golden brown on the bottom, flip over and cook the other side. The cheese should have a good crust on both sides.
- Put on serving plate and drizzle with olive oil, pepper, salt, basil, and the juice of the lemon.
- Serve immediately.
Note: It is important that the pan be very hot before the cheese is added, so that the cheese sears immediately. You can test the pan by cutting off a small piece of cheese and dropping it on the pan. It should sizzle and turn brown immediately on contact with the oil.