Chocolate soufflé is delicious and the Amaretto liqueur flavor adds just the right touch of Italian flair in this recipe. Italian Amaretto is an almond liqueur and can be found in Italian stores as well as many supermarkets and liqueur stores.
Make Amaretto Chocolate soufflé to surprise your guests at the end of a dinner party, to treat your significant other for a romantic Valentine’s dinner at home, or just yourself in a special “me” time.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 6):
- 6 ounces/170 grams of semisweet chocolate, finely chopped or chips
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
- 1 cup of whipping cream, chilled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons of Amaretti cookies, crushed
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven and to 400 F/200 C. Butter six 3/4-cup soufflé cups and sprinkle with a little sugar. Place on a baking sheet.
- Whisk ½ cup of cream and 1 tablespoon of Amaretto liqueur in a mixing bowl, until soft peaks will form. Place the whipped cream in the refrigerator.
- Place a medium bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; put in it the remaining ½ cup of cream and the chocolate and stir with a wooden spoon until fully melted. Remove from over the water and let cool down for a couple of minutes.
- Whisk in the yolks, 1 at the time, making sure to blend them well into the mixture before adding the next one.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of Amaretto, the vanilla and the almond extracts.
- Preferably using an electric mixer or electric whisker, beat the egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks will form. Gradually add the sugar, and keep beating until stiff. Fold half of the whites into the chocolate mixture and incorporate well; repeat the same with the other half.
- Spoon the soufflé mixture into each soufflé cup or ramekin, filling them halfway.
- Sprinkle each with some of the crushed Amaretti cookies and top with the remaining soufflé mix.
- Place soufflés on the center rack of the oven and bake until puffed, for about 15 minutes.
- Dust each cup with powdered sugar and serve immediately with whipped cream on the side.