Alabama Child Abuse Resources

Alabama Child Abuse Resources
The US state of Alabama has several resources for victims and survivors of child abuse and domestic violence. Below is a brief directory to some of the most common resources as well as a quick hotline list for Alabama at the bottom of this article.

For immediate law enforcement help with an abusive situation, you should call 911. If you would rather not make an emergency call, your local phone directory will have numbers to police stations in your area. Also, the USA Cops website has a comprehensive listing here by county of police department addresses and phone numbers.

One of the best places to find help in your area is the county office contact lookup page on the Alabama Department of Human Resources website. This page has a scroll-down menu to choose your county which will lead you to a page with your local HR office address and department phone numbers. Alabama's Child Protective Services is part of the DHR. To contact CPS directly call 334-242-9500. The main DHR phone number is 334-242-1310.

The Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence has a listing of shelters. Like the USA Cops and DHR sites, the listings are by county. You simply click on the map at the area you live and you will be taken to the appropriate info to get help now.

The 2-1-1 Connects Alabama project is a general community help service. By dialing 211 (a local call in the state), you will receive the information you need specific to your situation. If you're not sure what agency can help you, then this might be the best option for you. The staff will refer you to free community services that can help with domestic violence, food and shelter, mental health care, and legal help.

Alabama Quick Hotline List

Besides 911 and 211, here are some hotlines for abuse-related and crisis services in Alabama:

  • Alabama Domestic Violence Hotline and Alabama Crisis Centers: 1-800-650-6522

  • Crisis Services of North Alabama: 1-800-691-8426, 256-716-1000 or 1-800-SUICIDE

  • The Crisis Center (suicide intervention and rape counseling): 205-323-7777

  • Family Guidance Center of Alabama (family counseling and support groups): 1-800-499-6597

  • Family Sunshine Center (for domestic violence): 334-263-0218

  • Pathways to Recovery (for children who were sexually abused now acting out sexually towards other children): 256-237-6300

Please feel free to print this out and keep it with you or give it to someone you're concerned about.

You Should Also Read:
How to Find Local Shelters
RAINN's Rape and Abuse Hotlines
Help for Neglected Children

Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

Content copyright © 2023 by Trish Deneen. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Trish Deneen. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Erika Lyn Smith for details.