Summer is a time of outdoor gatherings, barbecues, and picnics, and most of us, while having plenty of recipes for main dishes, are always searching to find really good seasonal showstopper sides. The following Summer Vegetables Élégant is one such side that everybody will love and that uses up the vegetables of summer. It can be made ahead and reheated, and also made in a cast iron skillet on the grill if it isn’t convenient to heat the oven. You can adjust the heat by adding more or less jalapeño peppers – one is quite mild and suitable for even children.
If you don’t grow summer vegetables in your own garden, corn on the cob, zucchini, yellow squash, jalapenos, and red peppers are always available at farmer’s markets, roadside stands, or in grocery stores. The recipe is quick and easy and takes very little hands-on time to put together. If you’re serving a crowd, double the recipe because it will go fast.
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 to 3 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
3 ears fresh corn on the cob, washed, silk and greens removed, and corn cut from the cob
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 8 ounce zucchini, cut into 1/4" dice
1 8 ounce yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4" dice
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup grated Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet; add the onions and jalapeno peppers.
- Sauté for a minute or two and add the corn kernels; sauté over medium heat until the corn begins to soften.
- Pour the whipping cream over and add the salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let cook until the corn is tender.
- Fold in the zucchini, yellow summer squash, and red bell pepper; transfer the mixture to a 9’ x 9" or 7" x 9" baking dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 341 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 63% Protein 11% Carb. 26%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 345 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g Sugars 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 46% Vitamin C 75% Calcium 0% Iron 6%