Mississippi Mud Cake is something that everyone should have a bite of at least once in their life. Itís just that good!
I like to save this recipe for a special occasion. Itís actually my grandmotherís recipe, who patiently taught me the joy of southern cooking. I say patiently, as my sister and I fought over who got to ďlick the beatersĒ after the batter was poured into the pan.
This cake makes for a wonderful change of pace for birthdays, or for holiday desserts. If youíre having company for dinner, it makes the perfect end to your meal. To save time, consider making the icing while the cake bakes.
If youíre a traditional southern cook who canít imagine cooking without shortening or butter, this recipe is for you! However, if youíre a southern cook who is trying to lighten things up a bit, I promise to make a lightened version of this recipe just for you! Iíve tried a few versions in the past, but it doesnít quiet cut the cake, so to speak.
In the meantime, enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup of shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 Ĺ cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- ľ teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla
- Ĺ package of marshmallows
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- ľ to Ĺ cup sweetened evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Sift flour, cocoa and salt together, and add to mixture, mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 11 pan (my grandmother used cocoa
instead of flour).
- Bake at 300 degrees for thirty minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour marshmallows on top.
- Bake at 350 for ten minutes.
- Cool the cake for one hour--make sure it's completely cooled, or spreading the icing will be a disaster.
Directions for Mississippi Mud Cake Icing:
- Sift sugar and cocoa, and mix with butter.
- Combine milk and vanilla, and add to mixture.
- Mix well--my grandmother noted on the recipe card that it will have a strange look when you first add the milk, but just "keep on stirring."
- Spread icing evenly over the top of the cake and enjoy!