As we accept Jesus Christ as Lord of our life, we begin to receive and experience certain gifts from Him. The Bible describes these gifts as the Fruit of the Spirit. In Galatians 5:22-23 we are told that the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. This week’s Fruit is goodness.
Paul wrote that he was convinced that the Christians in Rome and all believers were full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and able to instruct one another. Romans 15:14
At first glance, my impression of ‘good’ wasn’t entirely positive. I remember, as a child being reminded to be good. It’s meaning wasn’t clear to me but I knew that I didn’t often live up to whatever it was. I did some checking and found that the word “good” has a surprising number of meanings and uses.
- Morally excellent, virtuous, righteous – Not many of us feel that we live up to this meaning but with our acceptance of Christ’s death on the cross, as payment for our sins, God says that we are.
- Satisfactory in quality – As in good food or good health - Whatever I am is good enough for God.
- Kind or friendly – As in to do a good deed - I find that this is easier, the longer I walk in my Christian life.
- Honorable or worthy – We can have a good name. - God says that I am honorable and worthy.
- Reliable, safe – We may be a good credit risk. - With God’s help I am reliable.
- Sound or valid – We can use good judgment. - God makes me sound and valid.
- Beneficial – Fresh fruit is good for you. - When I do as God asks, I am beneficial to His kingdom.
- Agreeable, pleasant – We say, “Have a good time.” - When God looks at me, I aM agreeable and pleasant to Him.
- Sufficient or ample – Something is in good supply. - I am sufficient with Christ.
- Competent or skillful – Someone may be a good manager or good at arithmetic. - I am competent for the work that God has prepared for me.
- Comparatively new or fine quality – We wear our good clothes to church. - I am ‘new’ in Christ.
- Full – The city is a good day’s journey away. - Thank you Jesus, I am full.
Goodness is the state or quality of being all those things. I am amazed at all that this seemingly simple fruit of the Spirit contains and that how good (kind or friendly) God is for giving it to me.
Complete listing of the Fruit of the Spirit.