Soon after I joined the Laurita Family I was introduced to the classic sausage and peppers recipe. The flavors of sausage and peppers complement each other. When you make this dish you will receive only compliments.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 10-12 mild (sweet) Italian sausages
- 1 onion, frenched*
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1" strips
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into 1" strips
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large skillet or pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook the sausage for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Add the onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, wine, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- Uncover and let cool. Skim the fat from the top of the of the pan.
- Reheat and serve with crusty bread or rolls.
Note: The best sausages are made with fennel, but many purchased in grocery stores do not. This recipe includes fennel, but if your sausages include fennel you may want to adjust the recipe.
*--To "french" is to cut into long, thin strips before cooking. For example, "french fries" are potatoes that are cut into strips and then fried.