Chicken & Dumplings (GF Option)
1. To make the stew - In a large (8- to 10-quart), heavy-bottomed saucepan or soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the flour (or GF Mix) over the vegetables and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk the stock into the pot, a little at a time, allowing the roux to absorb the liquid before adding more (this will help avoid lumps).
3. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, then lower the heat and gently simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the chicken pieces and frozen peas.
5. To make the dumplings - Whisk the flour, baking powder, (or GF Mix in place of the flour and baking powder) salt, parsley and rosemary together in a large bowl, then cut in the butter using a pastry blender until it is in small pea-sized pieces.
6. Add the milk and stir to moisten the flour mixture. (Do not overmix or you will develop the gluten in the flour and the dumplings will be chewy.) The dough will be moist and soft. Using a large spoon or your hands, scoop out eight 1/4-cup chunks of dough, then drop into the simmering soup(it's OK if they sink down), spacing them apart. Cover the pot and simmer until the dumplings are done (a knife inserted in the center should come out clean), about 20 minutes. (Avoid lifting the lid while the dumplings are cooking.)
7. Using a serving spoon or tongs, divide the chicken and dumplings among eight soup bowls. Ladle the gravy over the dumplings and chicken, sprinkle with the parsley, and serve.
Visit my website oneredpot.com - for tips on Food Health Lifestyle.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
Zucchini and Dried Plum Bread
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Soy is Harmful to Thyroid Function
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Colleen Forgus. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Colleen Forgus. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.