Guest Author - Rose Mary
When I purchased my first home, I had no idea where to start. I would look in the newspaper or real estate magazines and just call the realtor who was advertising the home that I wanted to look at. I made the same mistake when selling my first home. Many years and mistakes later, I finally realized that there are important things to consider when choosing a realtor whether you are buying or selling a home.
If you are purchasing a home, it is a wise choice to find a buyer�s agent. These agents work exclusively with buyers and, therefore, work for you. If you are selling a home, the agent that list the house and places the house ad is the selling agent.
For today, let�s say you want to sell your home. By doing these things, you will able to sit back and be assured that you have wisely chosen a realtor.
* Try to get referrals from friends or family.
* Interview at least three agents and make sure to ask questions.
* The agent must have an active real estate license and be in good standing.
* They should belong to the multiple listing service (mls).
* Being an agent should be their full time job.
* You should ask how long they have been in the business.
* When choosing a seller�s agent, you should ask how many homes they have listed and sold over the past year.
* They should have a presence on the internet.
* When choosing a realtor, you should ask for references.
* You want to choose an agent who handles homes in your price range.
* When interviewing an agent, make sure that they listen to you. If you ask questions, they should give clear explanations that you easily understand.
* They should be a member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR). This association has a very strict code of ethics.
* What will they do for their commission? Do they arrange for inspections, work with mortgage companies and title companies.
* Many states now have license information online. You should check with your state to see if any complaints were filed against a realtor of your choice.
Many of us don�t realize that a realtor is working for you while at the same time working for other people. You are the one who is going to pay them and so, therefore, you want to be comfortable with them. You also want to be assured that they are going to do their best for you. Whether you are buying or selling a home, it is a very big financial investment and should not be taken lightly. With a little bit of homework and your list of important things to consider when choosing a realtor, you will be able to pick the best agent for your peace of mind.